Richard Thorne Web Design Terms for Website Design
These terms are primarily for website design but also include hosting and domain names.
Before We Begin
1. I provide you with a quote for work to be carried out. The price may change if you change the requirements outlined in the quote. I will need all website content to be provided and the functionality agreed before starting work on your project.
Payments and Deposit
1. After a price is agreed, a 50% deposit will be invoiced; it must be paid and cleared in my bank account before any work starts.
2. The remaining 50% will be invoiced after the project is complete. The final payment of 50% must be paid within 7 working days (as specified on invoices) of the project being complete.
3. The deposit is only refundable if no work starts.
4. For smaller jobs, the deposit is at my discretion and may vary.
5. If, at any stage, you change your mind about what you want to be delivered and are not happy with the direction my work is taking you’ll pay in full for the time I’ve spent working with you until that point; and we would agree to terminate the project.
1. I will make every effort to meet the agreed completion date. Sometimes, circumstances change and if for any reason I cannot meet the agreed completion date I will endeavour to notify you in plenty of time.
2. Any requests for extra work or changes to the project must be supplied in writing (for example, by email).
3. Requests for extra work or changes to the project specification after the specification is agreed, or are requested after the project has started, will affect the agreed completion date and agreed price. Any requests for extra work or changes to the project will be quoted for and, if agreed, will be invoiced in advance as an interim payment.
4. In addition to testing and checks that I carry out, it is the client’s responsibility to check over the finished project.
1. I build the website to follow current web standards (within the agreed specification and budget). It will be tested to support the latest versions of Microsoft Edge, Opera, Mozilla Firefox, Safari and Google Chrome. If you need further browser support, this should be discussed at the start of the project and can be included in the original quote and price.
2. I test the site on Windows and Mac platforms.
3. If the site specification includes a mobile device friendly design (a responsive design), I will test the site on Android smartphone, tablet, and an Apple iOS device. Other testing can be arranged but will add to the costs.
Web Hosting Costs
1. Web hosting is payable yearly in advance or monthly by standing order. You must notify me by email to cancel. No refunds are given if hosting is cancelled.
2. Web hosting accounts will be suspended a week after the invoice is due if payment has not been received. This means that a website won’t be visible to visitors. It can be restored on full payment of the invoice.
1. Domain names are purchased on your behalf and you own the name.
1. I ask for payment within 7 days for completed web design projects.
2. Other work, e.g smaller web development jobs, is 7 days.
3. I am not VAT registered.
1. Paying the first 50% deposit acts as an agreement for the above terms.
2. Paying for smaller jobs also acts as an agreement with the above.
Web Hosting Conditions
* By completing your purchase, and/or logging into your account, or allowing files to be uploaded to it, you are indicating your acceptance of these Terms and Conditions.
* Registration of domain names is carried out on our clients’ behalf on a ‘best endeavours’ basis. There may be circumstances that mean we are unable to secure a requested domain name, even after it has been provisioned on our servers. Under these circumstances we will only be liable to offer a refund or to register an equivalent price domain name at the client’s request.
* If payments due are not received on schedule by Richard Thorne Web Design or my nominated agents we reserve the right to suspend, withdraw or cancel services.
* Domain and hosting renewals fall due on the renewal date. Any cancellation or change to those services must be received in writing or by email before the renewal date. If you cancel your account, no refunds will be made.
* You may not store more data in your account than that allocated with your hosting product, however upgrades can be arranged quickly on request.
* Your virtual server (including FTP access to it) is for your use only. You must not divulge the password to any other person, and you should take reasonable precautions to ensure that it is not discovered by other people.
* Data stored on the servers is not guaranteed to be backed up, however backups are taken usually every 24 hours, and often older versions of files (since deleted) may be available in the monthly backups. A charge may be made for recovery of file(s). It is recommended that you keep an independent backup of all data stored on your webspace.
* You may not run server processes (eg talkers/IRC Bots) from your virtual server. Shell accounts (telnet or ssh) are not available on virtual web hosting packages.
* I shall not be held liable for any loss or damages caused by the use or misuse, unavailability or removal of services. When your account is closed, all files (including web pages) will be deleted. We reserve the right to cancel your account at any time without notice.
* If your site uses excessive bandwidth that has an adverse effect on other clients we reserve the right to disable your site until you can reduce your bandwidth usage, and bill you for bandwidth used over and above your allocation. Each hosting product includes a set bandwidth. If you exceed this usage, you may be required to upgrade your hosting account to cover bandwidth used.
* As a general guide, virtual hosting accounts are recommended for sites requiring up to 15GB of data per month. If you exceed your bandwidth allocation, additional charges may be made.
* To protect your privacy we never distribute your name or email address to any third parties. Users must not participate in any form of un-solicited bulk emailing or spam. If you have a legitimate requirement to bulk email you must contact me first.
* Commercial use of hosting and email services is permitted. You will be responsible for the content of your website and emails, including obtaining the legal permission for any works they include and ensuring that their contents do not violate UK law.
* There a size limit on email attachments of 10 Mb.
* By default, all email accounts on the servers are screened from persistent senders of SPAM and UBM. To opt out of this service, please email [email protected] – I cannot guarantee you will never receive junk emails, but their occurrence should be reduced as much as possible.
* By default, all emails are examined electronically for virus content. Any suspect emails may then be subject to individual scrutiny by one of the security team. I cannot guarantee emails are totally virus free and strongly recommend the permanent use of active anti-virus protection on any computer connected to the Internet.
* We don’t allow .exe files (or .zip files containing .exe files) to be sent by email.
* Purchase, transfer, renewal and use of domain names on Richard Thorne Web Design and our partner company’s equipment will comply with the relevant Nominet, TuCows OpenSRS, CentralNic and ICANN rules and guidelines as amended from time to time and published on their respective websites.
* I do not make a charge to transfer domain names to another register, however such transfers will only be effected once all outstanding invoices from Richard Thorne Web Design have been settled in full.
* You will be held responsible for, and accept responsibility for, any defamatory, confidential, secret or other proprietary material available via your web site or email. We reserve the right to remove material deemed inappropriate from your web pages, without prior notice. Richard Thorne Web Design does not allow the servers to be used for any illegal purpose. For the avoidance of doubt Richard Thorne Web Design does not permit the use of its servers for adult content.
These Terms and Conditions may be amended and updated at any time without notice.